Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Tutorial: Ruffled Pillow

I have had this plain old pillow for years.  I pull it out every time I get into my fabric stash and think to myself I really need to do something with this and then I shove it back in the box.

Well I finally decided to do something with it:~)


DSC_0059 

Ruffled Pillow Tutorial

1. Decide how large you want/need to make your cover.  My actual pillow was 12x12 so I made my cover 13x13.  ( I used scrap fabric for the whole pillow. )

 

IMG_0265

2. Make your strips.  Mine were about an inch wide and about a foot and a half long.  How "ruffled" you want your ruffles will determine how long your strips are.  The longer the strips the more ruffled.  


IMG_0267

3. Baste down the middle of all of your strips.  Do not back stitch either end and be sure to leave a nice long tail of thread on both ends as well.


DSC_0064

4. Create your ruffles by gently pulling the bobbin thread on your strips.  You want each ruffle to extend from one end of your pillow cover to the other.  


DSC_0065
5. Pin each ruffle to one of the pillow cover pieces (wrong side of ruffle facing the right side of the cover).


DSC_0066 

6. Stitch each ruffle in place. Sew right down the middle of each of them.


DSC_0067

7. Pin the other cover piece over the piece with the ruffles, right sides together.  


DSC_0068

8. Sew around the outside. I used a  1/2" seam. Be sure to leave an opening so that you will be able to turn it and stuff it.  

9. Turn your cover right side out and stuff.

10. Stitch the opening closed.

11.  Display your super cute ruffled pillow somewhere fun!


DSC_0058


Tara



6 comments:

  1. This is super cute. I haven't seen it done with all different fabrics, that I recall. I'd love if you'd link this with Fabric Fun Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I will try to remember to link up on Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cute. I love the look of all the different ruffles in the pillow! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute idea. What's not to like about ruffles?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you linked up, this idea is adorable (yikes, I hope you get a couple more visits :)).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute pillow, thanks for the tutorial!I have a great fabric scrap box full of piece just perfect for this project.

    ReplyDelete