Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Tutorial - Pleated Camera Strap Cover

I have been meaning to buy myself a new camera strap for a while now. There is just something about the standard black and yellow Nikon strap that just doesn't do it for me:~) But I keep finding other fancy things to spend my money on. So in the mean time I decided to make a cover for the strap I have.  I also decided to make my first official attempt at a tutorial.  I will apologize in advance for any mistakes or confusion:~)

  
IMG_0117
 

Pleated Camera Strap Slip Cover

You will need:

1/2 yard of fabric 

1. Measure the width of your camera strap.  Double that measurement and add 1/2" for your seam allowance.  Mine ended up being 5".  Cut two strips. You will need the second one for a lining.  I originally did this without the lining and trying to pull the camera strap through was painful.  It just kept getting caught up on the back side of the pleats.

 

DSC_0002_3

2. Lay out your first strip and begin adding pleats until your fabric strip is even with thick part of your camera strap.  Don't forget to leave room for finishing your ends.



DSC_0004_2


DSC_0008_2 

3. Baste your pleats.  This will keep them where they belong for the next steps.


DSC_0010 

4. Finish the edge of your lining piece.  Make sure it is the same length as your top strip.

5. Lay both pieces right sides together.  Fold them in half length wise and pin.

*I forgot to take a picture of my second attempt with the lining. But this gives you an idea of what it should look like.*


DSC_0011 

6. Sew both pieces together.  I used a 1/4" seam.


DSC_0012

7. Turn right side out and iron.


DSC_0013

And Presto.....Camera Strap Cover!


IMG_0118 


Tara



 





5 comments:

  1. That's cute. I may have to try that sometime for mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this. I like the fact that its simply a cover and you can change it out vs. sewing fabric onto the strap. I think I might have to make one today before I leave for my nice weekend getaway! I'll blog about it and let you know my link.
    katie
    SewWoodsy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute cute...need to try this! Following you now from new friend friday's. Hope you can visit me sometime.
    matthollycart@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! I just started making straps for my Etsy sight. Ive been playing around with different ideas.. ruffles, pleats, plain w/ minky. Absolutely gorgeous!
    www.clairescreationsandphotography.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete