Friday, June 18, 2010

Cookin' with Moose

Last September Ryan shot his very first moose. Size wise it wasn't huge, but he was pretty excited.  Now we have a big ol' freezer full of meat.


DSC01082

I've tried several times using the meat in my regular recipes, using moose instead of beef.  It never goes over so well.  Neither one of us can get past that "gamey" flavor.  So, what do you do with a freezer full of meat that you don't particularly like?....You suck it up and learn to like it.  So, last time we were at Fred Meyer we made a stop in their tiny book section and found a Moose Cook Book.  I figured that someone had to have come up with a way to season it to mask some of the not-so-yummy flavor.


DSC_0085

I have made three recipes out it and so far so good:~) I have made an Enchilada casserole, Chili con Carne, and Macaroni and Moose. The Macaroni and Moose was an interesting one.  It called for cinnamon and nutmeg which I thought was rather odd.  I wouldn't think to add those spices to ground meat.  But Ryan said it was actually really good.  His favorite at this point was the Chili con Carne.  I added jalapeno's to the recipe which, Ryan informs me, made it perfect.  And it was quick and simple, which made it perfect for me. 

 

DSC_0084




No comments:

Post a Comment