Monday, July 12, 2010

Making it bigger and adding some detail

My mom sent me a few items of clothing that my sister no longer wanted.  Among those items was a top from Hollister. Sadly it was a little snug, then again I'm no longer a super skinny 20 year old either.  But I just loved the color and the neck line. So I figured I'll just make it fit:~) I went to Joanne's and picked up a fat quarter for $1.99 in a print that complimented the color of the shirt nicely.

DSC_0001


Again my trusty scissors assisted me this project.  I cut off the sleeves, up the sides of the shirt, and straight up the middle about half way. I forgot to take a picture of the shirt in the beginning yet again, but here it is after I cut it up.


IMG_0099

I cut two 2" strips for the sides and a triangle for the back from the fat quarter.  I hem stitched the bottoms of all of them to match the existing hem of the shirt and then sewed 'em on.  I left the edge of the sleeves raw and used a decorative stitch to give it a some what finished look. It was super simple for the most part.  The only place I had any issues was sewing on the top of the triangle on the back of the shirt.  The jersey knit fabric of the shirt just didn't want to cooperate. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. 


DSC_0006 

You can see the sides in this picture a bit better.


DSC_0011 


DSC_000a



3 comments: