Friday, July 30, 2010

How to make Blueberry Jelly

A good friend taught me how to make jelly last year and I couldn't wait to make it again this year.  There is something very satisfying about making your own jelly and its fun:~)

Blueberry Jelly

4 cups of blueberry juice (see bottom for post for directions)

1 box fruit pectin

5 cups of sugar

Jars

1. Combine blueberry juice and fruit pectin.  Bring to boil.


DSC_0014


DSC_0009

2. Add sugar and bring to a roiling boil.

3. Boil for 1 min.

4. Remove from heat and pour into jars.

5. Place upside down and let cool.  The heat from the jelly creates a vacuum

while it cools and seals the jars. This is called the inverted method.


DSC_0019 

6. Enjoy your blueberry jelly!!!!


DSC_0022 


DSC_0023 

** Blueberry Juice**


1/2 Gallon Size Bag of Blueberries


4 Cups of Water


Cheese Cloth



1. In a large pot combine blueberries and water. 


2. Bring to boil. 


3. Reduce heat and simmer for about 30mins.


4. Strain through cheese cloth. (I like to squeeze as much out of them as I can.)


 This makes about 5 cups of juice:~)


Tara





6 comments:

  1. Yummy. Blueberry is my favorite EVER! :D
    Dropping by from New Friend Friday! I hope you can stop by and follow us back as well! Have a good weekend!
    http://theartsymom.tk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering what to do with all my fruit pectin and blueberries!
    You're in the running for crafiest person I know- long live the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! The blueberry season is over before you know it, but blueberry juice is available all year long! I have never tried the inverted method of canning before, so I learned something new today!
    I'm visiting from NFF. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. See that one jar in the front? It's got MY name on it!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh, blueberry jelly. Reminds me of my grandmother. Great recipe, thank you for posting it. I am over from The Girl Creative- you are welcome to check out my blog, Yoga Gal. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the ironing board cover. I would have never thought of putting the stripes and flowers together. IT's so cheery looking. I wouldn't mind ironing with that cove on it.

    ReplyDelete