Thursday, February 24, 2011

Tomato Basil Soup with Raviolis

I DO NOT like canned tomato soup.  I'm not sure what it is about it that I don't like, but frankly I think it's kinda gross.  With that said, I do love homemade tomato soup. There is a resturant in town that occassoinaly serves a homemade Tomato Basil with Ravioli and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT! Ofcourse I always get a craving for it when they aren't serving it. So the other day I made my own.


DSC_0002


Tomato Basil Soup with Raviolis


2 cups chopped onion


6 cloves of minced garlic


2 tbsp olive oil


3 cans fire roasted tomatoes (14.5 oz)


1 can diced tomatoes (28oz)


2 cups fresh basil leaves (torn)


1 tsp thyme


6 cups chicken stock


1 box of ravioli (I like the kind you find in the past aisle)


Heat oil in a large stock pot.  Add onion and garilc, cook 7-10 minutes until soft. Add tomatoes, chicken stock, basil, thyme, and red pepper flakes. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 40 mins. Meanwhile cook you box of ravioli, drain, and set aside.  When soup is done and cool run it through a blender until smooth.  You can do it while the soup is hot if you are impatient like me but make sure you are able to vent the steam, otherwise you will have a huge mess. Once the soup has been blended add your ravolis and enjoy!


adapted from: Annie's Eats


Tara


 


 


 



No comments:

Post a Comment