Monday, February 14, 2011

And Another Baby Gift

Babies, babies, everywhere!


I spent my little bit of free time last week making another baby gift for my friend's new baby girl.  It was nice to make girly things for a change since my last few baby projects have been for boys.  Don't get me wrong baby boys are super cute and lots of fun, but I do enjoy playing with florals and girly colors:~)


DSC_0011


I used my silhouette to make the heat transfer with the bird.  Have I mentioned how much I love that machine?


DSC_0014


For the faux necklace onesie I cut out 9 little felt cirlces, pinned them to the onesie, and stitched one big line with my sewing machine to form the "chain".  I've seen this done several different ways, many of them start and end way out on the shoulder seems of the onesie which I'm not a huge fan of.  I placed my felt circles where they would hang if it were a real necklace. For the ribbon, I stitched it on first and then tied a knot.  I finished it off with fray check to keep the edged looking clean.


DSC_0018


The ruffle onesie is by far my favorite! It was also the most difficult.  Stitching those ruffles in place took some finagling to get them through the sewing machine.  I cut four 2 1/2" strips, sewed them in half, and turned them right side out.  I didn't want raw edges and it was quicker than ironing and sewing eight 1/4" seams.


DSC_0012


I really had a lot of fun with these!


Tara



4 comments:

  1. Great onsies! Just wondering if you've tried to wash the one with the felt? Does the felt hold up in the washing machine? I've got a friend having twins and I've got the idea for the onesies but not sure if felt would work or if I need to find the right color fabric? Just curious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not tried washing it yet. I had originally planned on using fabric, but was afraid it would fray too much in the wash because of the way I had decided to sew the circles on. Let me know what you decide to do and how it turns out! :~)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are too cute. I am trying to come up with something special for a baby shower in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I'm sure you will come up with something awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete