Thursday, June 2, 2011

Painted Wine Glasses

Sadly a dear friend is leaving us to move to back to civilization:~( Last night we had one last get together.  Two of the ladies in the group really wanted to get something to commemorate our time together. They found a really fun wine glass online with a little black dress on it. But of course trying to get it to Alaska was going to cost an arm and a leg and that wasn't even trying to get it here on time. So they called me and asked if I could whip one up.  Of course I said yes! I love making things and any excuse that allows me to do that I'm all for, especially when its for a good friend.


At first I thought about etching a dress on the wine glass. I thought it would different and fun, but I really liked the idea of a black dress and adding color.  So I decided to do two and see which one I liked better.


DSC_0409


DSC_0405


The top glass is the one I only used paint on.  I borrowed the dress idea from a glass I found, here. I tried a few times to come up with my own dress design, but after several unsatisfying attempts I decided why re-invent the wheel? The second glass is the one I etched and painted.  It's cute, but does not have the fun playfulness about it that the painted black dress does. 


Painting the glass was extremely easy and fun.  I used a sharpie to draw the black dress and filled it in with Folk Art Enamels paint for Glass that I picked up at JoAnnes for about $2 a piece. It took several coats to get a nice solid black. After that I let them air dry for about and hour and then placed them in the over for 30mins to set the paint.


Since I had everything out and I was already covered in paint I decided to add a little something to the wine glass that I etched a while back.


  DSC_0404

I'm really very please with how they turned out:~)


DSC_0408


Tara



No comments:

Post a Comment