Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Domestic Adventures: Gardening

Lately my hubby and I have been on a bit of a learing to be self reliant kick. With all of the things going on in the world these days we feel its important to be prepared and lets face it people these days (including us) are lacking some necessary survial skills.  We have become so dependant on modern conveniences. So this spring/summer we decided to try our hand at gardening.


Due to weather conditions in Alaska simple gardening takes on a few added twists. But frist things frist, we needed a place to garden. So step one was to build a raised bed garden. This helps give your gardening dirt the best exposure to warm weather in the spring to help it thaw. We decided to make ours 4'x8'x12". It took one trip to Lowes, 6 weather treated boards, and 15 bags of dirt to build.


DSC_0396 (The tires have potatoes (hopefully) growing in them.)


We planted tomatoes that we picked up at the Farmer's Market over the weekend. I attempted these last year and almost made it.  I planted them too late. So I did get tomatoes but they never turned red:~( So hopefully better luck this year. We also planted cucumbers and green beans.  I have no idea if this will work or not. The weather has been absolutely fantastic this past week so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!


DSC_0420


Tara



No comments:

Post a Comment